75 percent of rare genetic diseases affect children.
In the United States, an orphan rare disease is defined as a disease that affects fewer than 200,000 people. In total, we know there are more than 7,000 rare diseases affecting 30 million Americans and an estimated 350 million people worldwide. Many of these rare diseases are genetic and show up early in life. It is estimated that 75 percent of rare diseases affect children, and 30 percent of patients with a rare disease will not live to the age of five.
- That’s 7,000 rare diseases….
- Affecting 30 million Americans and 350 million people worldwide….
- With approximately 400 approved therapies/therapeutic treatments.
That’s just not good enough.
This is why Cydan is focused on accelerating impactful therapies for people with rare genetic diseases.
Advances in the molecular understanding of rare disease biology have created an unprecedented opportunity to advance innovative new ideas and new therapies into treatments that will address the underlying cause or pathology of a rare disease.
Our goal is to develop therapies that change the lives of people living with rare genetic diseases. Cydan is working with:
- entrepeneurs, researchers and clinicians
- universities, hospitals, and companies
- patients, their families and patient foundations
That is what we do.